Kaylee’s Diary – February 3, 2017

Morgan and I arrived safely in Kathmandu shortly before lunchtime today. It was a lot warmer than I had anticipated, but no complaints here! We made outlet way to the arrivals part of the airport and that was when I made my first realization of the trip- being in Nepal craves patience. We got to the self-check customs computers and of about the 12 only three were working. Morgan and I stood there watching as many before us in line struggled to make those computers comply while their own tensions grew. A little more than half an hour later we finally got our chance to try our luck with them and luckily, we succeeded on our first try! We made it through customs and went to go and retrieve our bags from the belt in the next room. Shortly after entering the chaos that was the baggage retrieval room, we were approached by a woman who worked for the airlines. She came with the news that many bags didn’t make it onto our flight and would have to come back to the airport at 4 p.m. to collect them. Slightly exhausted but still in shining moods, we left the airport with Sham and our driver.

I came to Nepal with very few expectations or worries and I feel that has allowed me to really open my senses to the culture (and traffic) in a way that I have not done before. It was a very interesting drive to the monastery where we are staying until Sunday. I saw many different animals and vehicles on the roads, as well as people and motorbikes veering in between everyone. We made our way to two different universities inside the city to tour and check out what programs they have to offer. We had to gather information as two Home of Hope children are graduating this year and hope to further their education. It was an eye opener to see how private schools can vary so much between different countries! Today’s experiences have made me even more excited for the days to come; I have a feeling that this is going to be an unforgettable trip!

After returning to the airport to collect our bags, Morgan and I came back to the monastery to go over our day and plan tomorrow’s shopping. I am really looking forward to going out and getting a closer look at the city on foot. But before we can do that, we will need a good night’s rest. Goodnight everyone!

Kaylee Flood
Lööf Foundation volunteer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12 − 11 =