Hand in Hand Zimbabwe, 2022 - Ongoing
HAND IN HAND IS A NON-PROFIT ORGANISATION THAT WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY SUPPORTED SUCCESSFULLY IN INDIA. THROUGH THEIR COMMUNITY UPLIFTMENT PROGRAMS, THEY WORK TO HELP UNDERPRIVILEGED COMMUNITIES BY CREATING BETTER LIVES THROUGH JOB CREATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP IN ORDER TO INCREASE ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES.
Hand in Hand, the non-profit organisation we’ve fervently supported in India and Zimbabwe, remains at the forefront of uplifting underprivileged communities. By igniting the entrepreneurial spirit and fostering job creation, Hand in Hand has been a beacon of hope for women and youth in rural communities, carving out better, sustainable livelihoods.
Our journey in Zimbabwe, amidst challenges like food insecurity, poverty, the unattainable economy, and climate change effects, stands testament to the resilience of human spirit and collective effort. As the nation grapples with soaring inflation and skyrocketing basic commodities, Hand in Hand’s sustainable interventions are vital.
In 2022, we began supporting Hand in Hand’s mission in Simbumbumbu Village, Gwanda District – a community crippled by extreme poverty, high-unemployment, and a staggering poverty prevalence rate of 73%. The crisis was further exacerbated by severe drought and climatic extremities.
Our support has breathed new life into Simbumbumbu Village. The community now enjoys access to fresh running water, while improved cultivation techniques have brought a newfound sense of self-sustainability.
- Business Development Training: We provide comprehensive training to newly mobilized Self-Help Group (SHG) members in entrepreneurship and existing SHGs in business development, fostering a strong foundation for sustainable businesses.
- Technical Skills Training: Our multi-disciplinary training sessions range from tree nursery and orchard management to horticultural production and confectionery baking, equipping community members with diverse technical skills that enhance their livelihoods.
- Market Linkages: We conduct detailed market research and aid in establishing connections between local businesses and larger markets. This promotes business expansion and ensures the sustained success of enterprises.
- Monitoring Visits: We perform regular on-site monitoring visits, providing a continual assessment tool that enables us to detect and remedy issues promptly, ensuring the viability and success of our projects.
- Hardware Support: We provide crucial infrastructure support, including solar-powered water systems and fencing material, enabling communities to effectively engage in horticultural production activities.
- Vegetable Washing Facilities: We have constructed washing facilities that promote hygiene and ensure the quality of produce sold in the market.
- Branding and Packaging Material: To enhance marketability and product appeal, we have procured branding and packaging materials for SHGs to use with their fresh and value-added agricultural produce.
- Current Crop Production: We monitor and guide the crop production at Matshena Garden, which currently includes leafy vegetables, tomatoes, sugar beans, and a tree seedling nursery.
- Community Engagement: We foster community connections and enrich local ecosystems by donating tree seedlings to primary schools and SHG members.
These initiatives have led to a surge in micro-enterprises, demonstrating that with the right support and resources, communities can lift themselves out of poverty. They can support their families, educate their children, and start believing in a better, brighter future.
As we continue to partner with Hand in Hand, our mission remains clear – to transform lives by creating sustainable jobs, enhancing entrepreneurship, and fostering economic opportunities in these underprivileged communities.